Support this site!

Monday, December 1, 2008

Open Source Twittering! SPAZ twitter client is awesome!

Ok, I admit...I'm a Twitter user.  I write a lot of meaningless drivel for all to follow throughout the day.  It's my way of sharing my life with all of you (who are interested) and also keeping abreast of the latest news and "goings-on".  (My twitter name is "dtrask")  Twitter.com is easy enough, but a tad cumbersome when trying to work on other things.  Keeping a web page open and refreshing it every now and then is simply not practical.  Problem solved...enter the Twitter clients!  There are many Twitter clients out there and they run on all different sorts of platforms.  The most popular ones such as Twhirl and Snitter, just to name a couple, all run on Adobe Air.  They work great, but are not open source.  Also...as a recent Twhirl user, one of my pet peeves is the inability to scroll down very far into my history of tweets from others.  Sometimes I don't get on for a while and want to check back several hours or even several days to see what my friends have been up to.  Well...the other day I stumbled upon Spaz.  The name alone takes me back to high school and the days when we used to tell people, "Hey...don't "spaz" out!"...or "She's such a total "spaz"."  Spaz is an open source twitter client that simply ROCKS!  I love it.  It works on Windows, OS X, and Linux and is simple and easy to use.  It's also customizable for those who wish to tinker a little.  You can write your own CSS files to change just about anything.  There are also some CSS files already written for you that can be used to make changes in Spaz's appearance.  Fed up with some of the other Twitter clients?  Want to give something else a try and support a cool Open Source project?  Download Spaz!

Spaz: An Open-Source Twitter Client for Mac OS X, Windows and Linux

2 comments:

Roen December 1, 2008 at 3:33 PM  

I think it looks like every other AIR-based client. Rather than running another application, I use TwitterFox on my Firefox browser, which queues the tweets as far back as my last view and has popups that come up even when the browser is minimized. I have the plug-in on my school-issued MacBook, my Vista home PC and my Ubuntu work PC. Then, I have TwitterBerry for my BlackBerry Bold. :)

It doesn't really matter how you connect to it, though. I think Twitter is a great service, especially for folks like me who never think to keep a full-blown blog updated. A quick post once in a while is enough to keep my friends and family in the know.

http://twitter.com/bradbrownjr

David Trask December 1, 2008 at 4:38 PM  

I run twitterfox too. Sometimes I just don't feel the need to be in Firefox...so that's where the desktop client comes in (aka Spaz). In general though...Twitter is VERY cool. :-)

DT

Be a nuggethead...subscribe!

You! Yes you! Join us now!

  © Blogger template Blogger Theme by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP